BBI Media News
Publishers of Crone, SageWoman, and Witches&Pagans magazines.
Edited and adapted from her blog “The Magical Artisan” at PaganSquare.com
One of the questions our customers often ask is “I want to have a Spiritual Path – how do I start?” My answer is simple: entwining your everyday life with a set of regular devotional practises will gradually empower your energy, connect you with the energies and entities around you, ground you, and build the Personal Power you need.
First, a note: all the practices I present can be performed regardless of your living situation. You can have a constant and active practice even in the most hostile of environments; none of the these practices require you to expose your belief system to outsiders.
1. Make Tea. Have you ever seen a Japanese Tea Ceremony? If not, I strongly recommend you google it or look for it on YouTube. Heating water and adding tea or herbs to it is something that can be done every day, among every kind of people, even at the workplace; and no-one has to know that you have Blessed the Water, or that you are honoring your ally plant Spirits as you brew it. If you serve it to others, cast a silent Blessing over the tea before serving it.
2. Take a Sacred Bath. Whether in your own bathtub, or at the sea/river/lake, submerging yourself in water is an extremely powerful magical act. Before entering the water, thank the Water Spirits; when you are in it, visualize how it cleanses you and fills you with energy; as you leave it, thank the Water Spirits for taking your negative energy and cleansing you.
3. Use the Symbolism Of Numbers And Colors. Wearing the colors of your patron Deity/Spirit, choosing a specific number of elements to adorn your work table, or painting your room, can also be very powerful allies to keep your energy aligned with a particular Spirit.
4. Leave Hidden Offerings. The whole world is your altar, and you don't need to have one at home (unless you want to, of course). My husband, for example, always carries a small purse filled with pennies on his backpack, and leaves them at crossroads here and there as he does his daily errands; I collect the candies that the local cafeteria gives with every tea, and when I have a handful I take them to an abandoned cemetery for the people buried there. Even feeding the birds at your local park can be an offering to Bird Spirits/Deities.
5. Meditate And Pray. You can meditate and/or pray absolutely everywhere – on your way to work, as you walk the dog, while you wait for your children in the car, when you take a break from work/study – and no-one has to know you're doing it.
6. Connect with a Place Of Power. Even in the most urban environment, there must be a place that you feel attracted to, where you feel a special, empowering energy. USE it regularly as a way to refocus, ground and recharge your energies, as often as you can/want.
7. Work With Your Hands. Spinning, knitting, making jewelry, painting, collage, journalling, woodworking, carpentry, and even less (allegedly) glamorous works like home repairs are powerful tools. The creative process, applied to any skill, will not only release many emotions, but it can also be efficiently used to map your insecurities, fears, and of course your strengths. Use your hands as the wonderful tools they are for manifestation work by creating beauty and usefulness.
8. Get Dirty. Planting greenery in your home or outdoors (as in guerrilla gardening, for example), is a tremendously empowering experience at all levels. My advice is to start with easy to grow herbs like Basil (or your local equivalent) and get seedlings from your farmer's market instead of growing herbs from seed, which is much more difficult. Plant Spirits teach us, transform us, heal us and protect us.
9. Get Moving. Walk, dance, sing, have sex, run, play sports. Your Spirit and its energy depend on the amount of healthy exercise you make more than you could think. Just as with eating in a more conscious way, any kind of exercise you do, no matter your age or physical state, will empower you and connect your energy with Spirit. This is not about weight loss goals, or about killing yourself – quite the opposite; this is about loving and honoring your body to increase its ability to become a receptor and transmitter of Healing.
10. Give. Whether it is just listening to someone in distress and giving advice, or volunteering at your chosen charity, the sacrifice of your time and energy is a tremendously powerful magical tool; as you compassion is put into action, you will be performing a spell of self-Blessing, attracting beneficial energy and entities your way.
Spiritist and Artisan, follower of Maria Lionza's path, Carolina Gonzalez was born and lives in Tenerife, one of the beautiful Canary Islands, on the Northwest coast of Africa, her artwork is deeply tied to her African heritage and Latin American Spiritism. Find her online at PaganSquare orhttp://caminodeyara.indiemade.com/
Specials for FebruaryFebruary Freebie Drawing:
Goddess Spells for Busy Girls by Jen McConnell – autographed by the author!
It's a new month, and for this month's freebie drawing we are offering an *autographed* copy of Jen McConnell's brand new book “Goddess Spells for Busy Girls.”
Digital Edition $4.95
This issue is all about learning to work with change -- an especially relevant topic in today's turbulent world. Pagans recognize transformation as a powerful force, so we say things like "Everything She touches, Changes."
MORE DIGITAL SPECIALS
New Years Magick
Digital Edition $4.95
Print Edition $8.95
This is a green, green issue of SageWoman: dedicated to all the plant-lovers out there who enjoy the bounty of the green world spread before us like a banquet without a sign of greed or pride. Plants are our greatest friends, our elders, our healers, and our ultimate destiny. Life on earth (as we know it) would be utterly impossible without them. So let's find out more about the magic of these wonderful companions, shall we?
Print Edition $3.99
MORE PAPERBACK SPECIALS
Element of Earth
Paper Edition $7.95
Hearth and Home
Paper Edition $7.95
See BBI Media specials page for all on-sale issues with links to full descriptions to each one.